What teachers say ...
* "a WOW day for us all!"
* thank you, the children had a brilliant day and were absolutely full of what they had learnt.
* the children had an amazing time. The activities were perfect and they couldnt wait to show their parents what they had made.
* Download our free learning resources
* Watch our award-winning videos online
* Risk assessments to help you plan your visit
* Print a copy of our leaflet to show a friend or colleague"
Primary School Learning Programme
Support your teaching with themed workshops for the KS1 and KS2 Curriculum.Our flexible approach means that together we can plan sessions to make the most of your museum visit or outreach session.
handling sessions with real and replica artefacts
costume, role play and storytelling
learn how to use a museum collection to explore the past and as a resource for research
Visit Stonehenge or Avebury, or combine with a discovery walk in the prehistoric Wiltshire landscape
High quality sessions delivered by experienced staff
MUSEUM VISIT - see our award-winning displaysDiscover the daily lives of our ancestors in fun and engaging ways. Many of our workshops offer opportunities to dress in period costume.
Our workshops and galleries include:
Stone Age/Neolithic to Bronze Age
Saxon and Vikings (Invaders & Settlers)
Tudor and Medieval Life
Houses and Homes in the Past
The Story of Devizes
OUTREACH - come face to face with the past at your schoolWe can come to your school with an interactive workshop where your children can meet our Outreach Officer in character to learn about aspects of daily and domestic life.
Our outreach workshops include:
PLANNING AND BOOKINGYou can make a pre-visit free of charge - just let us know when you would like to come.
Please contact Ali Rushent, the Learning and Outreach Officer on 01380 727369 or Click here to send an e-mail. to discuss how we can help or to make a booking.
Visiting the Museum
Your group is welcome to use our Lecture Hall as a lunch room - please let us know in advance.
Coach drop off at the Museum entrance. Parking for a minibus and for those with special needs is available in the car park at the rear of the Museum. We can help arrange coach parking nearby.
Depending on the age of the children and activities being carried out, museum visits and outreach sessions can last any time from one hour to a whole day.
We are committed to ensuring that our building and collections are as accessible as possible - we are in two Grade II listed Georgian houses, a Victorian school hall and a modern extension!
Easy access to the building - stepfree entrance, mobile ramps make it possible to access all our galleries, level-access toilet and platform lift.
COSTS* Museum visit and workshop - £4 per pupil + VAT (£3 per pupil + VAT for Devizes Schools)
* Self Directed Museum Visits - £2 per pupil + VAT (Visits must still be booked in advance)
* All-day outreach Workshops to School - £5 per pupil + VAT + travel expenses; Short Introductory Outreach Sessions £3.50 per pupil + VAT + travel expenses
41 Long Street, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 1NS
Telephone: 01380 727369