This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Alchemy is an exhibition of beautiful contemporary artworks by Ann-Marie James. Wessex Museums invited Ann-Marie James to delve into the collections of our four partner museums (Wiltshire Museum, Dorset County…
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
- Open today and Bank Holiday mMonday - 12-4. Gold from the Time of Stonehenge and our new Alchemy: Aretefacts Reimag… https://t.co/GfRbeXOxix 19 hours ago
- Still places left on our holiday activities next week for half term! Magical Materials - linking to our Alchemy exh… https://t.co/w01RvkI2uD 2 days ago
- New exhibition features loans by @WiltshireMuseum and @SalisburyMuseum . Gold from the Time of @EH_Stonehenge . https://t.co/6QGRrxVdpy 2 days ago
- Bush Barrow in Kansas at @UnionStationKC - gold studs from the Bush Barrow dagger plus replicas on disp;ay in theri… https://t.co/9Vvg6XFwkX 2 days ago
- RT @MadeleineHonor: A new exhibition has just opened at @WiltshireMuseum ‘ALCHEMY: artefacts reimagined’ an exhibition of contemporary… https://t.co/akfEUoRblY 2 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
The Daily Mail has today published an article headlined "Battle erupts over Steven Spielberg plans to film WWI epic near Stonehenge" . See the article
Recently found in our Library and Archive is a letter written by Cecil Chubb to Canon Goddard, President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History