This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Introducing our new virtual partnership exhibition... Once collectors’ curiosities, now endangered species Explore Wildlife in the Red - Wessex Museum's first online exhibition. Visit the Museum to see the accompanying…
- RT @WiltsWildlife: Today is #WorldWildlifeDay commemorating the signing of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species… https://t.co/PFUIQzDqYL 5 hours ago
- RT @ST0NEHENGE: #OTD in 1765 death of the Antiquary William Stukeley, a figure of major importance in the history of Archaeology. P… https://t.co/JpvmUAF9Xx 5 hours ago
- For #WorldWildlifeDay this year, explore Wildlife in the Red, our @WessexMuseums partnership exhibition. See what… https://t.co/Bq2WsNMQmj 13 hours ago
- Today is #WorldWildlifeDay! Wiltshire's famous chalk downland is peppered with colourful wildflowers during the wa… https://t.co/xc9r9o1B1E 13 hours ago
- Meet the great bustard, featured on Wiltshire's flag. Hear how Britain's largest land bird was re-introduced to Bri… https://t.co/1nLLHjKMln 15 hours ago