This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
As at 19th July: Please note our lift is out of order. Wheelchair access only available for ground floor galleries. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Alchemy is an exhibition of beautiful contemporary artworks by Ann-Marie James. Wessex Museums invited Ann-Marie James to delve into the collections of our four partner museums (Wiltshire Museum, Dorset County…
An exhibition of works by members of Devizes Camera Club, on show at Wiltshire Museum between 1st and 30th September 2019. The exhibition will be open during normal Museum opening…
What is the Oexmann Art Award Competition? The Wiltshire Museum has been holding the biennial Oexmann Art Award Competition and Exhibition since 1988, and it is now one of Wiltshire’s…
- Due to technical difficulties, our lift is currently out of order (and will be over the weekend). Apologies for any… https://t.co/lFKACk41eW 18 hours ago
- We’re very excited to be running our first (and FREE!) Curious Kids sessions on Saturday 27th July! Suitable for u… https://t.co/6gxPvc0t60 2 days ago
- Busy day for us! Just finished a sleepover for Dauntsey's School, we are running an @ArtsAward session on our Alche… https://t.co/cLurW0doqp 7 days ago
- Fun event at @SalisburyMuseum this weekend. https://t.co/ES71UHTcpW 7 days ago
- RT @visitpewseyvale: Have a look at our fabulous film of the #pewseyvale and plan your visit to quintessential England… https://t.co/iSte9WHJ5V 1 week ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
We need your help to find out if Bronze Age gold, found in a burial close to Stonehenge, came from Britain, Ireland or Brittany. Located
The Daily Mail has today published an article headlined "Battle erupts over Steven Spielberg plans to film WWI epic near Stonehenge" . See the article