This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
We are an independent charity telling Wiltshire's Story and caring for Nationally important collections
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
This exhibition celebrates the work of Ernest Farmer, who today is little-known but was a leading figure in the development of photography as an art form. Through the exhibition, we…
- RT @Glyndle: This exhibition at @WiltshireMuseum is not to be missed. Also, in August and September, myself, @Anna_Dillon and… https://t.co/ZBYvPUwZNT 9 months ago
- Drum roll please! See Wessex through a new lens this summer in our upcoming exhibition Wessex Airscapes: Elevating… https://t.co/aHxmiAlAZO 9 months ago
- Or dum roll even... https://t.co/tHOrxiEXwT 9 months ago
- Drull roll please! See Wessex through a new lens this summer in our upcoming exhibition Wessex Airscapes: Elevatin… https://t.co/8bsMeDkcbF 9 months ago
- RT @LydiardMuseum: Today, for #museumweek2023, we celebrate the Sun #SunMW. Visit Lydiard House Museum to see the historic sundial, da… https://t.co/jPhE6nl65z 9 months ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
We are delighted to announce the appointment of Imagemakers as Interpretation and Exhibition Designers for the Assizes for Devizes: Unlocking Wiltshire’s Stories project. Imagemakers will
Our two fascinating exhibitions have been extended until Saturday 9 March. Feedback from our visitors has been very positive, with people talking about how insightful