This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Overall Winner: Stephen Ellis - Gower On Wednesday 9th October, our three Oexmann Art Competition judges came to the museum to make some very difficult decisions. After much deliberation, we…
Images by Robert Harvey, BA ARPS EFIAP CSci CEnv MCIWEM For thousands of years, people have been fascinated by the beauty of the night sky. But it is only in…
An exhibition that showcases the many talented Cloth Road Artists. From silk work to fine art painting, printing to ceramics, the Cloth Road Artists are a collective of Wiltshire based…
- richardhosgood: Whoop! Digging For Britain WW2 special on BBC4 this Wed with our Digging Band of Brothers. Presente… https://t.co/jOqHopOXl9 40 mins ago
- Wiltshire's white horses are an important part of our landscape. @PewseyVale https://t.co/LiPWSLxLPy 48 mins ago
- A great way of finding out about collections across the country ... https://t.co/pRxJ7WgmqS 7 hours ago
- Just about to be on @BBCWiltshire for 'Beat the Boss'! 3 general knowledge questions at 11.30 all week. Today is David vs Rachael! 7 hours ago
- Interested in supporting our @WessexMuseums ? https://t.co/LUWktQRL6T 2 days ago