This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
The opening of this exhibition has been postponed until a later due to the Cornoavirus-Covid-19 outbreak. As soon as a new date is arranged we will post it here. The…
The Wiltshire Museum and English Heritage are working on exhibitions in 2020 that are looking at different aspects of the links between Japanese prehistory, contemporary art and stone circles. The…
OPENING OCTOBER 2020 A groundbreaking exhibition of the celebrated artist Eric Ravilious showcasing the beautiful Wiltshire and Sussex Downlands. An exciting special exhibition exploring Eric Ravilious’ fascination with the sweeping…
- RT @TimothyDaw: @WiltshireMuseum fascinating photos, historic discovery from a Twitter thread. https://t.co/Y21pHlocJA 8 hours ago
- Using our new @artfund bags to deliver PPe to @wiltshirepolice and @wiltscouncil - not what we had expected ... We… https://t.co/SdaxDx2Yrv 14 hours ago
- RT @SalisburyMuseum: Did you know that you can explore highlights from our #ceramics collection online? Visit… https://t.co/g9fNnbhMdn 15 hours ago
- artefactual_kw: Today's #DailySarsen The polissoir, Fyfield Down, Wiltshire https://t.co/XCzJKtuefQ 15 hours ago
- RT @jamesrussell66: Need a distraction? Have a listen to my podcast, 'Eric Ravilious: The Art of Looking' - it's he… https://t.co/ny4ehEuuGk 15 hours ago