This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
The Wiltshire landscape from chalk hill figures to prehistoric remains - artworks from the Museum’s collection. Echoing ideas of England’s heritage landscape pioneered across the 18th and 19th centuries, 20th century artists…
Introducing our new virtual partnership exhibition... Once collectors’ curiosities, now endangered species Explore Wildlife in the Red - Wessex Museum's first online exhibition. Visit the Museum when we are open…
- RT @croftonbeamengs: Starting from 22 May 2021 Crofton Beam Engines will be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10.15am – 4.00pm. The en… https://t.co/Lu6qXIrd1r 14 hours ago
- RT @ChippMuseum: Thank you for sharing and good luck to all the @MuseumsInWilts who are re-opening.We are so pleased to be back https://t.co/dTZvPlARH7 14 hours ago
- Why not follow @Museumsinwilts to keep up to date on the latest news... https://t.co/gh5HnLm47c 15 hours ago
- On @BBCWiltshire at around 8.20 to talk about our re-opening next week and the other Museums in Wiltshire that are… https://t.co/Ww1dznO6x5 20 hours ago
- Tickets are live! So happy to be back next Thursday. Discover the incredible story of Wiltshire - including Jura… https://t.co/bV1dnP4nro 1 day ago