This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Discover the secrets of Ancient Egypt in our family friendly exhibition featuring genuine Egyptian artefacts. On loan from the Hampshire Cultural Trust. PRE-BOOKING is ESSENTIAL. Discover how ancient Egyptians treated…
- @Dannys0772 @EnglishHeritage Danny. We are open - see our nationally important prehistoric collections, including g… https://t.co/JPYrQHLHu2 18 hours ago
- Delighted to have just had our first school booking! Talking to a couple of schools about remote sessions over Zoom… https://t.co/Xk4kVDdDWa 18 hours ago
- Normal August weather has returned... On the bright side, it's a great time for supporting local museums! See a fu… https://t.co/1OIbnVlNT1 20 hours ago
- RT @SalisburyMuseum: It's time for ! We have four new videos full of fun arty ideas for you and your little ones to… https://t.co/PcPkpY4waS 23 hours ago
- How did you do in last month’s art round? Answers for July’s art-themed #WhereinWiltshire are up now.… https://t.co/bsxdZCA1I9 1 day ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
We have noted the delay of the Development Control Order decision that was announced by the Government on 16 July. The Government statement says that