This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
This exhibition delves into the captivating life of snakes, bringing to light their beauty, mystery and amazing natural history. Using taxidermy, skeletal mounts and award winning photography this exhibition demonstrates…
- 50 years, 50 objects, 50 stories. Great exhibition by Garston Philips who works at Worcester City Museum. Lovely st… https://t.co/Qa1IXjlzxg 8 hours ago
- RT @betisdan: And here is the final finished map -great work, really interesting eg of research and conservation in practice. Exc… https://t.co/MYHRBR5aJ2 3 days ago
- RT @CotswoldArch: We are at the #archwilts19 conference In #Devizes today, please pop by our stand, we are on hand to help with any q… https://t.co/ioqqcVA1MT 3 days ago
- RT @betisdan: Great turnout as always and this is the stands area with stands from @CotswoldArch @wessexarch @WiltsRecProj… https://t.co/ATwn5I7GqQ 3 days ago
- RT @betisdan: Really interesting talk by sharon soutar @HistoricEngland and helen roberts, map of australia trust, on their work… https://t.co/3DhVYnc8Ag 3 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
The Daily Mail has today published an article headlined "Battle erupts over Steven Spielberg plans to film WWI epic near Stonehenge" . See the article
Recently found in our Library and Archive is a letter written by Cecil Chubb to Canon Goddard, President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History