This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Alchemy is an exhibition of beautiful contemporary artworks by Ann-Marie James. Wessex Museums invited Ann-Marie James to delve into the collections of our four partner museums (Wiltshire Museum, Dorset County…
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
- RT @MadeleineHonor: A new exhibition has just opened at @WiltshireMuseum ‘ALCHEMY: artefacts reimagined’ an exhibition of contemporary… https://t.co/akfEUoRblY 3 hours ago
- Featuring our collections! Visit us to see Gold from the Time of @EH_Stonehenge #Sharingwiltshiresstory https://t.co/jLSCQ3SqWi 3 hours ago
- Features objects loaned by @WiltshireMuseum and @SalisburyMuseum. For the full story of @EH_Stonehenge visit our t… https://t.co/f6wl4VuMdP 3 hours ago
- RT @TankieMike: The #diggingbandofbrothers site is open to visitors tomorrow in Aldbourne, between 11 and 3. Come and talk to the g… https://t.co/xFwc2e2l10 3 hours ago
- Queen Victoria was born 200 years ago #onthisday. Her reign of over 63 years was longer than any predecessor In our… https://t.co/GCdcQj6crT 7 hours ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
The Daily Mail has today published an article headlined "Battle erupts over Steven Spielberg plans to film WWI epic near Stonehenge" . See the article
Recently found in our Library and Archive is a letter written by Cecil Chubb to Canon Goddard, President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History