This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
This moving exhibition. curated by Richard Broadhead and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, features a Wall of Remembrance dedicated to the 10,000 Wiltshire fallen of the First World War,…
A colourful display combining new research about the brave women in Devizes who campaigned for the vote, with fabulous banners made by community groups in 2018, the centenary of women’s…
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
- Last few days of our Wiltshire Remembers: Aftermath of WW1 exhibition before installation of the Snakes exhibition… https://t.co/P7wAURBcqF 16 hours ago
- RT @RVSArchives: We #lovearchives especially our collections as they include uniforms. This is a WVS… https://t.co/qEvthD5iGj 20 hours ago
- A few places left on our Holiday Activities this afternoon at 1.30! Book online at https://t.co/cyRz2dO7uF 23 hours ago
- "I read it in a book so it must be true!" Seriously - I will find the reference. Painted when Ravilious was staying… https://t.co/5Yi6tZyxCC 1 day ago
- Shows junction at Stanton St Bernard on the road between Devizes and Pewsey. Fabulous! https://t.co/7SQxkQEUAI 1 day ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
The Daily Mail has today published an article headlined "Battle erupts over Steven Spielberg plans to film WWI epic near Stonehenge" . See the article
Recently found in our Library and Archive is a letter written by Cecil Chubb to Canon Goddard, President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History