This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
This moving exhibition. curated by Richard Broadhead and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, features a Wall of Remembrance dedicated to the 10,000 Wiltshire fallen of the First World War,…
A colourful display combining new research about the brave women in Devizes who campaigned for the vote, with fabulous banners made by community groups in 2018, the centenary of women’s…
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
- It was a fantastic talk. Great to be able to show off our version and it's details. Thanks to Mike and his colleagu… https://t.co/HIVf7UW8XG 8 hours ago
- Great to read comments by our visitors! We are now open 7 days a week. Half term coming up with lots of things to d… https://t.co/bdttq4jsOL 16 hours ago
- Looking forward to the Snakes exhibition! https://t.co/9Thx4hPtXY 1 day ago
- RT @SeptimusKeen: @LloyddeBeer @britishmuseum @WiltshireMuseum @LacockNT Mike is a truly talented craftsman - he produced amazing rep… https://t.co/UAwH3j0CUL 2 days ago
- RT @DevizesAssizes: Another weekly inspection on Tuesday - combined with a visit from the Risk Consultant from the insurance company. https://t.co/T5NR7AhiNL 2 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
The Daily Mail has today published an article headlined "Battle erupts over Steven Spielberg plans to film WWI epic near Stonehenge" . See the article
Recently found in our Library and Archive is a letter written by Cecil Chubb to Canon Goddard, President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History