Talks and Walks for your group
External lectures, talks and walks
We offer a range of talks to groups and societies, including NADFAS, WI, archaeological societies and local history societies.
Standard talks include:
- Gold from the Time of Stonehenge - Summary: The Wiltshire Museum is the home of the best Bronze Age collections in Britain. The talk outlines the remarkable craftsmanship and stunning objects found with the burials of the chieftains, important women and priests who used Stonehenge for their ceremonies.
- The Story of Stonehenge
- Wiltshire's White Horses
- WW2 in Devizes
- The Story of Devizes
- The Making of the Kingdom of Wessex: Saxon Wiltshire
- Devizes Assize Court - a new home for the Wiltshire Museum
- Devizes Castle - Norman Stronghold to Victorian Folly.Tracing the story of Devizes Castle, once the stronghold of Empress Matilda in the first Civil Ware with King Stephen. The talk also looks at how the castle was brought back to life in the 1900’s.
- Eric Ravilious and Wiltshire (linked to our Eric Ravilious: Downland Man exhibition held from Oct 2021-January 2022)
We can bring data projector and screen. We normally ask for a £45 donation plus travelling expenses.
Many of the talks are given by our Director, David Dawson. This is a short biography - David is the Director of the award-wining Wiltshire Museum in Devizes, and is an archaeologist who has worked in museums in Sussex, Canterbury and Oxfordshire. For more background, please see David's staff page.
Walks and tours
We can offer a number of walks to local archaeological sites, including Marden Henge, West Kennet Long Barrow, North Wessex Downs (Alton Barnes White horse, Adam's Grave and Knap Hill) and the Stonehenge Landscape. Contact us for details.
With the Platinum Jubilee next month, we will look at some of the jubilees that have taken place through objects and documents from our more…
We are back with our popular Archaeology in Wiltshire Conference at the Corn Exchange in Devizes. We are planning to welcome over 150 delegates to…
Medieval themed art and craft activities for ages 3 to 11 - Make a crown to take home, a dragon sock puppet, a jewelled egg…
An evening stroll through the Fonthill Estate, learning about the rich history of its previous incumbents while we walk through Fonthill Gifford, Berwick St Leonard…