Become a lasting part of our story by thinking of us in your will
A gift from you will ensure that the Museum you love will have a vibrant future and generations to come will continue to enjoy and be inspired by its work and fabulous treasures, including the Stonehenge gold.
When you have provided for your loved ones, please consider leaving us a share of what is left. A legacy gift is the final chapter in a person’s life story – a reflection of their values, interests and experiences.
No amount is too small. As an independent charity, every penny helps us to keep our doors open as well as building, and protecting, our treasured collections and sharing them with our communities. You will be joining a long tradition of people who have shaped Wiltshire Museum in this way.
How to help
There are a number of ways in which you can remember us:
A Residuary Gift
- You will be giving Wiltshire Museum a share of your estate, once your family has been remembered.
A Pecuniary Gift
- You will be giving a specific amount to the Wiltshire Museum.
A Specific Gift
- You will be leaving a gift of particular assets or goods to the Wiltshire Museum.
A Reversionary Gift
- This allows you to leave your estate to your dependents while they are living, but when they pass away, all or part (as you specify) will revert to Wiltshire Museum.
Always talk to your solicitor to get professional advice when making or amending your will. If you already have a will, your solicitor can advise about adding a codicil. This is a simple addition to your will.
Inheritance Tax Exempt
As the Museum is a charity, your gift will be exempt from inheritance tax which will reduce the tax liability on your estate.
The choice is yours
There are two funds to choose from when leaving a legacy to the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society (the charity which runs the Museum.)
- Donations to the Endowment Fund will be invested to provide a continuing source of income, which supports our work in the future. Only the income from this Fund can be spent by the Society, the capital remains invested to continue supporting our work for future generations.
- This fund provides support for projects, such as gallery improvements, our work with children and schools and the everyday running costs of the Museum, Library and Society.
- An alternative option is to suggest that friends and family set up a tribute fund for In Memoriam gifts. Please ask us if you would like further information.
How to leave a legacy
Leaving a legacy is a simple way of supporting Wiltshire Museum, and costs you nothing in your lifetime. Just tell your solicitor you wish to include the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society in your will and what you want to leave.
Along with our name and address, you will need to know our charity registration number. The information you need is:
- The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 41 Long Street, Devizes, SN10 1NS
- Registered charity number in England : 1080096
If you are making changes to your will or setting one up for the first time, do seek professional advice from a solicitor.
How to contact us about leaving a legacy
- If you would like to talk to us confidentially about leaving a gift in your will, please contact David Dawson, the Director, on 01380 727369 or email@example.com.
- If you would prefer to write, please mark your letter ‘Private and Confidential for the attention of David Dawson’.
We would love to talk with you now
- If you have already remembered Wiltshire Museum or intend to do so, please let us know. This will enable us to explore what you might like to help us with, to thank you and to stay in touch
Some examples of the difference that a legacy can make ...