Wessex Museums Partnership
Wessex Museums is a thriving partnership of museums across Dorset and Wiltshire – Dorset Museum, Lydiard House Museum, Poole Museum, STEAM – the Museum of the Great Western Railway, Swindon Museum & Art Gallery, The Salisbury Museum and Wiltshire Museum.
Our purpose is to build the resilience and relevance of the museums in our partnership and across our region. Our mission is to support museums to connect, inspire and add value to people’s lives.
Visit the Wessex Museums website to find out more.
Our partner museums will be swapping ideas, sharing expertise, exchanging objects and hosting joint exhibitions. Our aim is to inspire you to explore and enjoy the fantastic art and heritage of Dorset and Wiltshire… and discover what makes Wessex so special.
- Dorset County Museum - Explore 250 million years of the county’s history, from fascinating fossils to Roman remains, Victorian life to much-loved Wessex literature.
- Lydiard House - Discover the enchanting history of Lydiard House – a striking Grade I listed building at the heart of Lydiard Park.
- Poole Museum - Marvel at the unique collection of shipwrecks and seafaring items from Poole’s days as the maritime centre of Wessex, as well as the world’s greatest display of Poole Pottery.
- Salisbury Museum - Discover 500,000 years of history - from the archaeology of ancient Wessex to contemporary art - all in a stunning medieval building
- STEAM Museum -Explore the rich history of the Great Western Railway and hear about the extraordinary things achieved by ordinary men and women.
- Swindon Museum and Art Gallery - Currently closed.
- Wiltshire Museum - Be dazzled by gold from the time of Stonehenge, Britain’s best Bronze Age archaeology collection amd discover Wiltshire's story.
Wessex Museums Trust is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation 1171104
Our Partnership is a National Portfolio Organisation, supported by funding from Arts Council England.
Latest about the Wessex Museums Partnership
Join us as a trustee – and help shape the future of Wessex Museums Would you like to… Be part of a dynamic and innovative museums partnership? Develop your skills in new areas? Build a network of contacts in the arts and heritage sector? Gain experience in strategic planning? Be
The Wessex Museums Trust is seeking a Chair and Treasurer to join our trustee board at an exciting time in our development. We are looking for trustees who hold strong connections to the region as well as a passion for art, culture and heritage.The Wessex Museums Partnership comprises the four
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 – grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view – with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread carefully as you pass through our Long Room gallery! (NB: no spiders were harmed in the creation of this exhibit)
Representatives from Wiltshire Museum, Devizes, joined arts enthusiasts and dignitaries recently to celebrate a major funding boost for four key museums – and the exciting projects that are now underway. Arts Council England recognised the Wessex Museums Partnership – comprising Wiltshire Museum, Poole Museum, Salisbury Museum and Dorset County Museum