Support your teaching with themed workshops for the primary curriculum.
Museum visits to explore our child friendly galleries with fun interactive activities and trails - find out about the Bronze Age and the time of Stonehenge.
Outreach days to come face to face with the past at your school
We offer high quality sessions delivered by experienced staff with
- Handling real and replica artefacts
- Costume and role play
- Practical and creative activities.
Our flexible approach means that together we can plan sessions to make the most of your museum visit or outreach day.
Our workshops include:
- Stone Age Life
- A Journey through Prehistory – Neolithic, Bronze Age and Iron Age
- Roman Wiltshire
- Saxons and Vikings (Invaders and Settlers)
- Archaeology and Materials
- Fossil Discoveries
- Toys from the past
- Tudor and Medieval life
- Victorian Devizes
- Victorian Houses and Homes
- Wiltshire Landscape
Schools are also welcome to visit the without booking a workshop as long as they book in advance.
Planning and booking
Pre-visits can be made free of charge - just let us know when you would like to come.
Contact: Ali Rushent, the Learning and Outreach Officer on 01380 727369 or email email@example.com.
Visiting the Museum
Your group is welcome to use our Lecture Hall as a lunch room - please let us know in advance.
Coach drop off at the Museum entrance. Parking for a minibus is available in the car park at the rear of the Museum. We can help arrange coach parking nearby.
- Depending on the age of the children and activities being carried out, museum visits and outreach sessions can last any time from one hour to a whole day.
- Easy access to the building - step-free entrance, mobile ramps make it possible to access all our galleries, level-access toilet and platform lift.
- We are committed to ensuring that our building and collections are as accessible as possible - we are in two Grade II listed Georgian houses, a Victorian school hall and a modern extension!
- Museum visit and workshop - £5 per pupil (£4 per pupil for Devizes Schools) (from1 January 2020)
- Self Directed Museum Visits (under 16s) - £2 per pupil (Visits must still be booked in advance)
- All-day outreach Workshops to School - £6 per pupil + travel expenses; Short Introductory Outreach Sessions £4.00 per pupil + travel expenses (from 1 January 2020).
- VAT exempt.
Schools in Devizes are given a special rate in recognition of our support from Devizes Town Council.
What teachers say ...
* "a WOW day for us all!"
* “thank you, the children had a brilliant day and were absolutely full of what they had learnt.”
* “the children had an amazing time. The activities were perfect and they couldn’t wait to show their parents what they had made.”