A 5 mile circular walk around Avebury and West Kennett Long Barrow, with Anna Dillon, Hedley Thorne and Glyn Coy.
SOLD OUT – to be added to the waiting list email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This route starts at the edge of the Avebury henge, proceeding along one of the stone avenues to Waden Hill, taking in the views of Silbury Hill. From there the route heads up to West Kennett Long Barrow, the Sanctuary and the Ridgeway before returning to Avebury.
Led by Glyn Coy of Hidden Wiltshire, this walk explores the landscape featured in Wessex Airscapes: Elevating Wiltshire exhibition, with the artists themselves. Anna Dillon will show some of her paintings on the route and explain the personal connections she has with the landscapes and why she painted them. Weather and permissions permitting Hedley Thorne may be able to do a drone demo on the walk.
The exhibition is a collaboration between aerial photographer Hedley Thorne and landscape painter Anna Dillon, exploring aerial landscapes. At Wiltshire Museum from 8 July to 15 October 2023.
Details of the day:
Date: Sunday 10 September
Start Time: 1 pm. The 5 mile walk is expected to last three to four hours.
Meet and Park: in the National Trust car park at Avebury. What3words app: prospered.roving.conga. Google Maps
Cost: £13 (£11 WANHS members)
Booking: essential ‘book online’ below.
Maximum Number: 12 (excluding walk leaders)
Terms and Conditions
- Stout footwear, protective clothing to suit the prevailing weather conditions.
- Reasonable mobility will be required – sufficient for a walk of 3 to 4 miles, with some uphill tracks.
- Please ensure that you bring water and snacks; this is particularly important in hot weather.
- The event may be postponed if adverse weather is forecast.
- Unless sold out, bookings will close at 9 am on the day of the outing.
Image (c) Anna Dillon