This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Local artist Louise Rolt graduated with an MA in Constructed Textiles from the Royal College of Art in 2003, and in the same year won a scholarship to travel to…
This moving exhibition. curated by Richard Broadhead and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, features a Wall of Remembrance dedicated to the 10,000 Wiltshire fallen of the First World War,…
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
- Devizes Isolation Hospital! https://t.co/DrFQG3NuGC 3 hours ago
- From our Archives - listing of Ship Money Tax in 1635 paid by people in North Wiltshire - this page is Hilmarton. D… https://t.co/OgBM8S9N8d 3 hours ago
- RT @HouseofCommons: 100 years ago today, Constance Markievicz became the first woman to be elected to the House of… https://t.co/KbOyzpvo46 2 days ago
- RT @DCMS: ⚡️ Thanks to EVERYONE who's got involved in #LocalCharitiesDay, highlighting the inspirational & vital work of loca… https://t.co/h3LErlofrL 3 days ago
- RT @betisdan: What a lovely journey to work. Bus from Avebury to sunny Swindon #avebury @WiltshireMuseum @HeritageWSHC https://t.co/xXnMRlDNcM 3 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
We are delighted with the news that the future of the Devizes Assize Court has been secured with the aim of restoring it as the