This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
A time-based installation by Syann van Niftrik working with filmmaker Zan Barberton http://boundarypictures.com/dropped-history-in-the-breaking/ What is it? It is a stand-alone exhibit that can be easily assembled by a gallery or…
The San Antonio Public Library and San Antonio Public Library Foundation own a collection of WW1 propaganda prints and posters, which are on a two-year tour of Europe. Wiltshire Museum…
Peter Dunn archaeological reconstruction artist will be exhibiting some of his sketches and paintings produced over the past 10 years whilst working in the UK and overseas. Items from the Museums…
- Autumn glory at Bowood House and Gardens today #igerswiltshirebowoodautumn #igerswiltshireearth #wiltshire… https://t.co/uWITAjATV5 8 hours ago
- RT @rholtom100: Great use of #vintage artefacts @PooleMuseum - you can feel the seaspray and hear the gulls https://t.co/pu5P1p5hQP 17 hours ago
- Don't forget our on-line shop for Christmas shopping (including our exclusive Wiltshire Words mug!… https://t.co/ooCftjEoWZ 17 hours ago
- Visit our shop for great Christmas gifts and imaginative stocking fillers plus @cardsforcharity Come & browse, we'r… https://t.co/XgLjymQwon 18 hours ago
- Lantern workshops here @WiltshireMuseum Saturday 4th & Sunday 19 November from 1-5pm. FREE. Drop in-no need to book… https://t.co/w1adQvPxlY 18 hours ago