This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Peter Dunn archaeological reconstruction artist will be exhibiting some of his sketches and paintings produced over the past 10 years whilst working in the UK and overseas. Items from the…
Exhibition of rural traditional art made by local blacksmith John Girvan in his forge in Devizes. The larger items featured in the displays are more than two metres high and…
- With many thanks to all concerned for a fascinating insight into the excavations at Barrow Clump. Open Day 15 July… https://t.co/uQt2mgMUm5 21 hours ago
- **Just heard that John will be talking live to Sue on tomorrow's show (Sunday 15 July) at 10.15am.** https://t.co/Gt04Ey1MKD 3 days ago
- Listen out for John Girvan talking to @SueDaviesWilts on @BBCWiltshire this morning. John's exhibition 'The Blacks… https://t.co/mqbcWtRJmP 3 days ago
- We'll be at the Festival of Archaeology @SalisburyMuseum 21 & 22 July @WessexMuseums #SupportSalisbury… https://t.co/YrUqSbG1cq 3 days ago
- RT @wessexarch: Cricket, books and beer – and a little bit of history at the Chubb Centenary Celebration at the Shrewton Recreation… https://t.co/Li5ZRCdNrn 4 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
Showcasing recent research to mark the centenary of the First World War Saturday 1 December at the Tidworth Garrison Theatre Organised by Wiltshire Museum and