This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
This moving exhibition. curated by Richard Broadhead and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, features a Wall of Remembrance dedicated to the 10,000 Wiltshire fallen of the First World War,…
#Wicked Wessex objects on tour 2018-2019 - grim and gruesome to strange and shocking! Our #WickedWessex item is now on view - with extra dressing appropriate to the season. Tread…
Local artist Louise Rolt graduated with an MA in Constructed Textiles from the Royal College of Art in 2003, and in the same year won a scholarship to travel to…
- RT @ST0NEHENGE: Stonehenge: Digging Up Britain's Past: Tonight on Channel 5 at 8pm - The archaeology series turns up at Stonehenge… https://t.co/IkZVDGlCXS 4 hours ago
- RT @ChippMuseum: Great article about Chippenham's Roman Gladiator bowl .Thanks to @Marc_Allum for all his help with this project. Th… https://t.co/KkE0vLrdl1 1 day ago
- @UlsterMuseum Great to see our Cunetio hoard pot being so well displayed! Being well looked-after ... 1 day ago
- @SalisburyMuseum and @britishmuseum Hoards exhibition. I Spy our pot from Cunetio with coins from Britain's bigge… https://t.co/xbMlYlmA1W 2 days ago
- Bronze Age gold from Orkney! Detoured when visiting the Ness of Brodgar in the summer to go and see the burial moun… https://t.co/43JVmR8xGX 2 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
Recently found in our Library and Archive is a letter written by Cecil Chubb to Canon Goddard, President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History