This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
This moving exhibition. curated by Richard Broadhead and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, features a Wall of Remembrance dedicated to the 10,000 Wiltshire fallen of the First World War,…
Photo © Blue Tokay Did you know that snakes first appeared around 100 million years ago, evolving from a lizard-like ancestor? Come along to our new exhibition opening from March…
- More on our #fantasticbeast! https://t.co/mP7nB4JbIj 18 hours ago
- RT @richardhenryflo: It was wonderful to see so many finds reported to @findsorguk in the #Hoards exhibition @SalisburyMuseum. The PAS i… https://t.co/4Wka7k9c2X 2 days ago
- RT @WessexMuseums: #TrusteesWeek It doesn't matter if you're retired or working - we just need trustees with a passion for heritage, a… https://t.co/qYKTNy44pQ 4 days ago
- A #fantasticbeast from Wiltshire - an 8th century Irish reliquary mount - found by a metal detectorist and donated… https://t.co/kjIF8FxOQU 4 days ago
- Good to have seen this exhibition being installed! https://t.co/1cFfmIEI08 4 days ago