This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Photo © Blue Tokay Did you know that snakes first appeared around 100 million years ago, evolving from a lizard-like ancestor? Come along to our new exhibition opening from March…
Sketches and paintings produced over the past 10 years by Peter Dunn archaeological reconstruction artist, whilst working in the UK and overseas. Items from the Museums art collection are also…
Exhibition of rural traditional art (and some not-so-traditional!)* made by local blacksmith John Girvan in his forge in Devizes. The larger items featured in the displays are more than two…
- A #WessexWednesday wonder at our partner museum @DorsetMuseum @WessexMuseums https://t.co/RA5WxcX26X 2 hours ago
- RT @richardhenryflo: Some of the coins from the Cunetio hoard and the vessel have been reunited @WiltshireMuseum. It was discovered in 1… https://t.co/pn7un3A4N1 6 hours ago
- Great feature by Tony Millett @MarlboroNews on our display from Britain's largest Roman hoard and coins lent to us… https://t.co/gIzyIKonOI 2 days ago
- Just two places left on our @ArtsAward Discover workshop tomorrow - book via https://t.co/n7UYjQ1bMV https://t.co/xgyRT9xYpN 2 days ago
- RT @MuseumandArt: @WiltshireMuseum @SalisburyMuseum @WessexMuseums @VisitWiltshire @VisitSalisbury_ @heritagelottery @artfund Can we… https://t.co/lo9LlUzoJW 2 days ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
People in Devizes are being invited to cry “Votes for Women!” and join Wiltshire Museum in a colourful entry in the Town Carnival on Saturday