The Eric Ravilious: Downland Man exhibition which ran from October 2021 to January 2022 was our first high-profile exhibition featuring major loans from regional and National Museums. What a journey it was, with petrol shortages and threatened COVID lockdowns to keep us on our toes...
It was a huge success, with over 12,000 visitors to the exhibition and had a direct impact on the local economy of almost £390,000. These figures were developed as a result of a carefully planned robust evaluation, using the methodology developed by the Association of Independent Museums to identify the economic impact of museums.
The headline statistics were:
- 12,225 visitors
- 69% were first-time visitors to the Museum
- 120,000 views on social media
- 45,000 website visitors
- 50% of visitors came more than 33km (from beyond Bath, Hungerford, Frome and Swindon)
- 72 volunteers gave 2,791 hours of their time, representing a value of £42,000
- 100% of volunteers said that the exhibition improved their well-being
- 98% of volunteers intended to continue volunteering with the Museum
- £50,000 in admission income
- £70,000 in shop sales
- 2,000 catalogues sold, 500 sold through our online shop
- £389,926 – direct tourism impact of our visitors on the local economy (spend in cafes, restaurants, hotels, shops etc)
- £991,202 – full year economic impact of the Museum in the local area (tourism impact plus impact of staff employed, procurement of services etc)
- £247 generated for each £1 of revenue grant from Devizes Town Council
- £77 generated for each £1 of revenue grant from Wiltshire Council
- 1 Royal visit by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
Read the full report here.
The exhibition was been made possible with funding from the following:
- Arts Council England - National Lottery Project
- National Lottery Heritage Fund
- Mercers' Company
- South Downs National Parks Authority
- The Golsoncott Foundation
- Verdon-Smith Family Charitable Settlement
- The Walter Guinness Charitable Trust
- Weston Loan Programme with Art Fund
Donations from our Members and Supporters.