This was a fantastic museum. They have really thought about children and made large areas of the museum interactive for them to explore not just look at.
Gold from the Time of Stonehenge
Our award-winning displays feature spectacular treasures dating to the time of Stonehenge and worn by people who worshiped inside the stone circle.
Telling Wiltshire’s Story
500,000 years of Wiltshire’s story told in our £750,000 gallery featuring high quality graphics and leading-edge reconstructions.
Lots for children too
Follow Archie and Ollie on a gallery trail, build Stonehenge, examine the evidence under a microscope and try on Bronze Age clothes.
"A must-see before visiting Stonehenge or Avebury"
We are one of Tripadvisor's top-rated attractions in Wiltshire. Other comments from visitors include “You haven't really seen Prehistoric Wiltshire till you've seen this!” and “Breathes life into Stonehenge”
Something for everyone
We have fascinating displays telling Wiltshire's story, including Roman treasure, the Story of Devizes and our new Saxon Gallery features the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
We are an independent charity, with net public funding of £670 towards our running costs. The Museum is run by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society and is supported by admissions, retail, events and the generosity of our members, present and past.
What our Visitors say
the Museum pulled all the sightseeing together … helped make sense of everythingVisitors book
The best prehistory exhibition
Stunning new galleries. See them soon!
Exhibitions - now and next ...
Images by Robert Harvey, BA ARPS EFIAP CSci CEnv MCIWEM For thousands of years, people have been fascinated by the beauty of the night sky. But it is only in…
An exhibition that showcases the many talented Cloth Road Artists. From silk work to fine art painting, printing to ceramics, the Cloth Road Artists are a collective of Wiltshire based…
The Wiltshire Museum and English Heritage are working on exhibitions in 2020 that are looking at different aspects of the links between Japanese prehistory, contemporary art and stone circles. The…
- See all 8 - explore Wiltshire's fantastic landscapes in the North Wessex Downs AONB. @PewseyVale https://t.co/eb9XxVwELS 11 hours ago
- Our Archaeology Field Group are busy doing post-excavation finds processing this morning - otherwise known as pot w… https://t.co/Ixgm5VkpTb 11 hours ago
- RT @ClothRoadArtsWk: This evening's private view looking great of the Cloth Road Arts members exhibition at @wiltshiremuseum. Shared fro… https://t.co/FWfeLVqPZZ 15 hours ago
- RT @ndaviscrafts: Tonight I attended the private launch for the @ClothRoadArtsWk Member's Exhibition at @WiltshireMuseum! Two of my… https://t.co/d7PPaRnyBh 15 hours ago
- The opening of our @ClothRoadArtsWk exhibition was great fun ... Come and see the range of talent - open at 10. https://t.co/p12mCfc0Ho 15 hours ago
Awarded Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
Wiltshire Museum has been awarded £47,000 over two years, from the Arts Council England Designation Development Fund, to review the research undertaken on the archaeology